Hello,

I know *exactly* how you feel. A year ago last Tuesday, our family was thrown into the same, painful spiral that you're going through. We lost one kitten to FeLV, and her playmate, who is my own cat, tested positive for FeLV. I spent the next month just trying to emotionally recover, but it does get better. My cat, Ember, is still with me, and seems to be doing well. It's possible that, if we had ignored the inexperienced vet who gave my mom no hope for her kitten, Sadie might be still with us today. I've since taken Ember to a new vet who is open to trying whatever I want to try and who doesn't recommend euthanasia right off the bat for something like this. I also found a nearby holistic vet who has been invaluable.

Not only is there no cure for FeLV that we know of, but it seems that every cat reacts differently to the disease. In Ember's case, she is on interferon alpha, which is what I'd imagine your vet will be getting for your cats. There is another interferon (brand name: Virbagen Omega) that is specifically for cats, though unfortunately, it's vastly more expensive. It also seems to have a more dramatic effect, especially when FeLV+ cats are having problems.

My Ember is on interferon alpha doses, which she gets orally at home. I also have good reason to believe that Transfer Factor Plus Advanced and Liquid DMG have helped boost her immune system. Finally, Ember is getting Mega C Plus in her morning bowl of food. We only started this recently, and I can't vouch for how much it may have helped. It makes sense that it would at least provide good nutritional support.

I also feed Innova EVO, which is a high quality, high protein food. Most of us on this list try to feed higher quality food when we can afford to do so. This seems to be the top recommendation from most folks on how to treat FeLV+ cats. There are other good brands, and high quality does not necessarily mean a much higher price. Others here can probably recommend other foods. Other brands that have worked well for Ember are Felidae and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul.

The treatments that we have used for Ember (as listed above), **seem** to have helped her. Last October, her white blood cell count went way down, and she also developed anemia. I started her on Liquid DMG and Transfer Factor Plus Advanced, and she was back to normal within a month. Did those supplements help, or did something else happen that helped her to recover? There's no way to know, unfortunately.

I'll be more than happy to answer any other questions you have via e- mail or the list. We are here to help you. Tomi and Kisa will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Lance