My Ethan was diagnosed (SNAP) + when he was rescued as a baby..... Needless
to say, he would have been PTS immediately by rescuing. shelter, so I took
him.  My original intention was to place him in shelter I was involved with,
since we are No-Kill, and house both Felv & FIV babies....However, I  fell in
love w/ him (it was mutual) & I gave him a home.....  Also had  him tested
Elisa
& IFA.  Both positive.... Vet said he was most likely  born w/ it...
He was NEVER symptomatic, but at around 18 mos. he developed lymphoma &  it
was crushing his heart, (Mine too..)
And sadly, since he was having so much trouble just to breathe, I did have
him PTS. One of the saddest days of my life......

Now, at the shelter, we have MANY Felv+'s.  All ages too.    Most come to us
because of their diagnosis, and at all diff. ages.  And we  do everything
possible to help them.
We have had many successes, like George, who is now approx. 15 & still  going
strong.  And Snappy lived to about 10.
However, we have lost (too) many at a young age........ At least they knew
they were loved....
But dear , sweet Snappy was both Felv+ & FIV+, so he did have a  good
life..... (In fact, I believe ALL our Felv's & FIV's, and all other  residents
have a
good life....)
The shelter does everything for these babies....... That's why I  became so
involved w/ Felv...  They are the sweetest creatures... Well, we  do have
some"nasty" ferals...(Like our Mr.Big- a Maine Coon who is approx.  12) But I
think
even they appreciate the care they are given....

I don't know if this information addressed your question, but I just had to
share...
One thing I learned is "Feline Leukemia is NOT a death  sentence". Just wish
everyone would agree to that.... Including vets &  shelters....

Hugs,
Patti & her gang