  From: Melissa Lind
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 9:06 AM
  Subject: OT: To Beckie, Air Conditioner

  Hi Beckie,

  I forgot to mention about the air-ours was broken for 3 weeks during some of
the hottest weather before we could finally get a guy to come fix it! Luckily
we had a basement, so the kitties could go down there if they felt too hot.
Mostly they would just lie around the house. They played a lot less than
usual-they seemed pretty exhausted from the heat. I know we filled their water
dishes much more than before.

  So, I guess I would say, it was pretty uncomfortable for them. Most of them
are healthy, so it was easier for them, but for a sick cat, I think the heat
would be much worse. If you have ceiling fans or other fans going for some
circulation, I think it would be better for the cats-or a basement too. We
moved their food dishes down there to encourage them to spend more time in the
cool basement.

  Once our air was fixed, I noticed that our kitties were much happier and more
playful. I would say you don't have to have a freezing cold house, but maybe
running the air once in a while to remove the humidity would be good and
keeping the air circulating is smart too.

  We don't love the heat, but we don't mind it a little warm either, so I know
what you are feeling. We like to use the air as little as possible, not because
we're cheap, but because we like the sounds of the outdoors, the birds, the
breeze, etc. I always feel cooped up when we have to shut the windows. Someday
we'd like to finish the basement which would be a nice summer retreat with
naturally cooled air. I think you said you live in Iowa-I'm from Nebraska, and
if our climates are similar, it's the humidity that becomes unbearable more
than the heat! J

  Melissa Lind