Caroline, You have been through Hell and back with
this cat. I know maybe it was not that particular cat
you might have gone out and picked out of the hundreds
available from the shelters where you are and you were
not really looking or even ready for anyone after your
precious Monkee, but after reading your posts and all
your efforts and struggles and progress with this cat,
all I can say is please just add the frosting to the
cake...Name her! and give her the security she
deserves...I do not care who the owners are...If I
were the owner and loved her to death, I'd want her to
be with you, if you might want her. Nothing is more
rewarding than getting something that is all beat up
and sad and polishing it up and making it happy. If I
did not believe that I would not be crying right now,
thinking about how I never got the chance to do that
for that cat Marmalade that I will honestly never
forget. The loss of him to me was huge. At this point
I think you will always worry about THIS CAT and I
think for you and your mom it would be best to keep
her in your family. A lot of people will probably
write and hate me for telling you this, but this is
how I see it. Bless you and your mom and that kitty!
Glenda
--- Caroline Kaufmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

---------------------------------

Susan:

I am sorry about the fire and that you are still
missing two cats.  That is heartbreaking.  You have
been in my thoughts over the past few weeks.

As explanation, well, it's complicated.  We found her
about three weeks ago (Aug. 4) and that was about the
time of your fire so you missed out on my posts about
my "Malnourished Rescue Cat."  She was in HORRIBLE
shape when we found her and that is part of the
problem.  If she was kept as an outdoor cat, or even
outdoor/indoor, she should not have been.  Some cats
are just not "meant" to be outdoor cats and I have
owned enough in my mere 30 years to be able to
recognize that.  There is an outdoor colony of cats
that are owned by a lady up the street from me who
live outdoors...they "prefer" it and they do quite
well.  The whole neighborhood looks out after them and
a bunch of us feed them.  But my point is, these cats
are true outdoor cats, this cat, is not.

She had to have weighed under 5 pounds when we found
her and she is not a young cat...the vet approximated
3-5 years old, more on the higher end.  We've had her
in a room feeding her Wellness kitten wet and dry
food, to which I was adding Colostrum, Rescue Remedy,
L-Lysine, Brewer's Yeast, Salmon Oil (but not all at
once), and tons and tons of Nutrical, as my mom and I
were worried about her liver and kidney function
because of her severe malnutrition.  I have never seen
a cat this malnourished.  Our neighbor who had been
feeding her (clearly not enough) said she'd been
hanging out in the neighborhood at least 3 weeks.  She
looked horrible.  She's long-haired, but she had
dander and her collar was on way too tight-- it was
frayed and shabby looking and it had rubbed all the
fur off her neck where it had been.  The only tag on
the collar was a rabies tag.  The vet listed on the
tag had closed his offices and it took a while before
we were able to reach them for them to give us the
owner's phone number.  The cat also had a severe upper
respiratory infection and when we put her in a
carrier, her eyes were weeping all down her face with
green discharge and she sneezed all the time.  I
immediately started treating her eyes with Terramycin
and we've already gone thru one tube.  She had fleas,
but she had no energy to scratch at them.  We took her
in because that weekend (of Aug. 4) was going to be
the hottest ever (100's+) and I did not think she
would have survived outside and I know I was right.
My mom thought she might die that weekend at her
house.  We just worked on feeding her and getting her
digestive system working again before we took her to a
vet almost a week later.  We got her on Clavamox.

She's much better now, but her infection is not
completely gone; the hair hasn't grown back on her
neck; she's ridiculously happy and I have never seen a
cat so clearly enjoy the air conditioning as she does.
 You can still feel the bones sticking out on her
body, but her stomach is filling out.

We also discovered today, due to the storm, that she
deathly afraid of storms...she's been hiding under the
bed and nervously looking at the window.  It's kind of
broken my mom's heart and she is just extremely
worried about the owners in this situation because the
cat was in such bad shape and clearly didn't know how
to take care of herself while outside.  I don't think
she was able to eat anything (not a hunter--
clearly!), unless given to her by human.

We just have some major concerns here and don't want
to have spent all this time, energy (I have to go to
my mom's everyday after work to treat the cat with
Clavamox because my mom can't do it and that keeps me
away from other things I need to do, my own foster
cat, and the colony/street cats that I look
after/feed), and money if the cat has bad owners?  She
is also the sweetest cat in the world, I don't think
she knows how to do anything other than purr and
knead-- she doesn't seems to know how to scratch or
hiss.  And because of that, I know that it would kill
my mom if we turned this cat over to less than the
most wonderful owners in the world and I feel I have
to do everything I can to protect both this cat and my
mom from making some really unfortunate mistake in
judgment....

In the meantime, this cat needed intensive
rehabilitation and care that I know that I am more
than capable of providing, so because of that, I have
not felt bad about not immediately calling the owners
to come get their what was "on it's death-bed" cat.

-Caroline