  From: Lynne
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 6:54 PM
  Subject: new cat

  Hi all.

  I just joined this list after doing all the reading I possibly could find on
feline leukemia.  I recently acquired a Himalayan male cat around 5 to 6 years
of age from a rather unscrupulous family.  I was familiar with the cat because
all summer he would come over to our house and hang around, mostly wanting
attention and something to eat.  Recently I discovered he was on a buy and sell
site and immediately called the owners desparate to purchase him.  Knowing who
I am the price went from 150 to 300 within a couple minutes.  Anyway, my
husband and I had grown to love this little guy and just wanted him to have a
good home.

  Yesterday we took him to the vet where he was groomed, shaved of all the
horrible matting under his chest and legs, deflead and treated for a terrible
case of earmites.  We no sooner got home than the vet called to tell us he had
tested positive for feline leukemia and wanted to know how much we had bonded
with him and our options.  After what seemed like hours of crying I decided we
were going to keep him as long as he stayed healthy which he is now.  This
weekend he is going to be neutered, strongly advised by the vet.  This will be
strictly a housecat.  He's adjusted very well and is adorable.  I'm just
curious.  Does he have a chance at a longer life than I've been lead to believe
he has.  I'm hearing a couple of years and I just cannot accept this as fact.

  Lynne