There's no need to give tablets, so definitely, don't put your cat thru that.
Key for an asymptomatic Felv+ cat is to keep stress at a minimum so always keep
that in mind- you don't want the treatment- in an attempt to keep your cat
symptom-free- to be worse than no treatment at all!!

L-Lysine in powder form is readily available at health food stores like Whole
Foods.  Get it from a health food store because you want to make sure you get
Preservative-free L-Lysine-- no added substances- which can be especially
dangerous for cats.  This is pretty routine at a health food store, but still
read the packaging to be SURE it says Preservative Free.  I buy a container of
free-form powder.  It has a tiny scooper and you just sprinkle it on top of
canned food and mix in a little.  Cats don't even know it's there.  Or, get
capsules- usually in 500 mgs- and open the capsule and sprinkle the powder on
the food.  I give about 250 mg a day per cat- it's not an exact science tho.
If you are giving to multiple cats, split the 500 mg capsule between all of
them.  If feeding one, use part of the capsule, close it back together, and use
the remainder the next day.  I have used both the free-form powder and capsules
filled with powder.  Also, some health food stores do have L-Lysine in a liquid
dropper form that you can add to food; however, I don't like this as much
because usually other things are added to the concoction like Shitake extract,
etc- things I am not sure are safe for cats- plus the dosing is off a lot
because 1 dropper doesn't equal any easily identifiable mgs b/c it's a liquid-
so I would avoid that route (altho it looks tempting).  The easiest for me is
the container of free-form powder.

Also, your vet may have a product called "Viralysis" that is a
liquid/jelly-like L-Lysine, so you can get it from the vet.  I have used this
also and you measure it with a teaspoon and add to wet food.  I don't know if
it is any better/worse than just getting it from the health food store and I
have used it sometimes only because I get it free from vets through the foster
care I do for a no-kill agency.

L-Lysine is a natural combatant of the feline herpes virus- one of the
bazillion culprits that can cause reoccurring upper respiratory infections in
cats, as well as the actual herpes ulcerations (sometimes they form on the
actual cat's eye).  But if your cat is not having ulcers, don't get too hung up
on whether it's herpes or not and just go ahead and start the L-Lysine.  It's a
wonderful supplement and great for all around immune boosting and every Felv+
cat should be on it.  I have no Felv+ cats and mine are still on it anyway in
an attempt to keep their immune systems healthy and URIs at bay.  I take it
myself everyday (that's why the free form powder or capsules are good b/c then
my cats and I "share" it!).

You should also get your cat started on Colostrum for immune support- VITAL for
an Felv+ cat.  Comes in free-form powder and capsules also.  The best is the
"New Zealand Colostrum" that is all-natural and comes from NZ cows-- NO
PRESERVATIVES-- again, make sure it's Preservative Free.  You can probably
order NZ Colostrum online, but don't quote me.  I get mine from a Holistic
Veterinarian (it should be pretty routine for all Holistic vets to have this is
stock), so you could get it that way.  Last resort is to just get it at a
health food store like Whole Foods.  I don't think they carry the NZ brand
which is the best, but as long as it's Preservative Free, it's better than no
colostrum at all.  I also take this myself!  You can follow the same dosing as
the L-Lysine for Colostrum- again, not an exact science, but that is how my
Holistic Vet said to do it- 250 per cat, or a 500 MG cap split between all
fosters.  For a symptomatic Felv+ cat, you can increase colostrum per day
significantly to 500 mg/day.

Hope this helps!

caroline

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:03:52 -0600From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]: l-lysineI've been looking into l-lysine to start giving to Athena -
from what I've read, it would help. She's periodically got slightly runny eyes
(like just eye boogers, nothing more) that the vet says could be allergy
related but some sites I have read said if it clears up with the l-lysine it's
something else. If we are even considering bringing another cat into the
household I want o have her as healthy as physically possible.Anyone use
l-lysine and what form do you use?  I've seen tablets (which I would HATE to
have to administer) and powder forms... also, any specific type/brand to go for
that is OK for felines ?Generally, what other supplements/therapies do you give
consistently to non-symptomatic felv+ cats?-- Beth [EMAIL PROTECTED] Bless!!!
Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailĀ®-get your
"fix".