MaryChristine,I agree with you that the fiv+ boys are the best.My 3 fiv boys
are the sweetest babies and my fiv girl is a sweetie too.I will probably ALWAYS
only adopt fiv cats from now on.We have around 70 fiv cats at Sids and I would
say that 95% are very sweet.Of course as with any cats you can get grumpy ones
too.
  Sherry

MaryChristine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  well, let's see--susan hoffman and i the co-moderators of the oldest FIV
group on yahoo; which is FIVCats2, for reasons that are way too complicated to
go into.

i am currently owned by two of the little beasts, and have been living with
them since 2002 when i moved into a FeLV/FIV sanctuary.

does that count as direct experience?

FIV has NOTHING WHATSOEVER in common with HIV: FeLV is much closer in terms of
how it's transmitted, it's course, and everything else.

the first investigators to isolate it did so in 1987, at the height of the
HIV/AIDS panic, and gave it a name that has killed far more cats than the virus
ever will. the only people who liken it at all to HIV/AIDS anymore are the
original researchers, who seem to have an investment in doing so, despite years
of research showing them to be in error. these folks use HIV/AIDS terminology,
which is pretty absurd, since H = human, after all.

the snap test is wrong 40% of the time, even in non-vaccinated cats; the
vaccine has not been proved effective in independent tests (another fine
product of Ft Dodge), and WILL cause any cat to test positive for life, even on
the confirmatory test, which is the western blot.

FIV cats, most of whom are male, mostly turn into, well, pussycats once
neutered--and couldn't bother biting anyone hard enough to transmit the virus;
when we get timid housecats in who actually DO test positive on the western
blot, one of our vets says that the cat was probably bitten on the butt trying
to run away.....

should a cat remain aggressive post-altering, filing down or removing the
canines prevents them from biting deeply enough.

FIVs are more prone to herpes infections and stomatitis than non-FIVs, it
seems, but basically they are VERY VERY healthy: sanctuary anecdotal info
(which, like with FeLV, is all there was for a long time) shows that FIVs are
healthier than any other population. yes, they get sick, but they respond to
treatment as well as any other cat.

most FIVs die with the virus, not from it, tho, of course, other things can get
them as well.

MC