Does anyone have any direct experience with FIV that they can pass on to me?  I
know the gist of course, since I foster cats and have "met" and lost the battle
to- both Felv and FIP in the past year (ugh).  I have heard that cats with FIV
can be fairly successful- live heathly lives barely affected by the disease (is
this true?), and it really is a lot like human HIV?  I have also heard this is
the one retroviruses that is transmitted by deep bite wounds and NOT casual
contact?

I am going to help a man who has taken in a alley cat that hung around his
house for about 3 years that tested positive of FIV.  He was clearly neutered
by alley cat advocates b/c he has a tipped ear.  He says it's a wonderful,
approx. 5 yo tuxie.  He has him in the bedroom for now (his only room with a
door in his house) because his own cat is an extremely aggressive, neutered
male and after 3 years of the tuxie hanging around outside, and being in the
house for a while now- they can't sort out their differences and they will
fight.  He wishes he could keep the cat but with his cat- being such an
aggressive fighter, and the tuxie being a fighter when need be (alley cat
mentality)-- he just doesn't see it as possible due to transmission to his cat.

The cat did get outside and got in a fight recently- ended up with an abcess on
his ear- being treated by a vet, stint put in and he has a f-u next week- but
it was at that appointment that the vet found the FIV and said "segregate!"- as
they always do.

I am going to work to get the cat into our adoption program as a "special
needs" cat in the hopes that someone w/o other cats, with a non-aggressive cat,
with a docile female, with other FIV cats, etc., would be willing to take him
on.  In the meantime, this man has agreed to continue to "foster" him in his
home while I work to help him out with the situation.

In the meantime, I want to build up my knowledge so that I have "talking
points" for potential adoptive parents and I can educate if someone w/o prior
FIV experience is willing to take him.  The man seems to understand that he
could have a cat on his hands with something a lot worse (like Felv or FIP), so
he's definitely not an overreactor and he seems well-educated.

Any info that anyone has will be great!  Especially PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and/or
accurate and trustworthy websites I can read and pass on to others!

thanks,
Caroline