current wisdom is that positive cats can remain asymptomatic for
years, until the virus is triggered. no one really knows, however,
what it is that activates it. culprits high on the list are serious
illnesses, but i know that at the sanctuary, we had positive who got
very sick, were treated (often surgically) and recovered quite fine to
go on for a number of years. stress is another thing suspected of
awakening the virus, but how do you define that? the best we can do is
the best we can do: give them as calm and safe and loving an
environment as possible, feed them the best food that your own
research tells you to (that varies because everyone has their own
opinion, and last year before the pet-food recall, some people were
accused of murdering their cats because they didn't feed them things
that others thought they should--things that turned out, in some
cases, to ACTUALLY kill, while the other foods did not); be extra
vigilant about any health concerns or behavior changes, and have them
attended to right away--and did i mention love them as long as you
have them, because no matter how long that is, it won't ever be long
enough.....

there are no guarantees for any of us--the healthiest cat or dog or
human can drop dead tomorrow--to worry about it all the time
accomplishes nothing, and probably creates a level of stress that the
cats can pick up.

there have been FeLVs in my life who have only had five months to
share with me, and other whom i've known for years--it's the quality
that matters.

(and take lots of pictures--i get incredible joy from looking at the
photos of the silly little furcritters that aren't wandering this
earth anymore--and i just grin when i see their faces looking out at
me, and remember how they graced my life.)

MC