If you have ocassion to see the vet tech again, you might mention that
life has no guarantees and that we need to enjoy every second with
those we love......they may drop dead of a heart attach, cancer,
accidents,  be struck by lightening (yes, I know several people who
have lost both 2-legged and 4-legged friends this way) etc.  Perhaps
she will rethink either her beliefs or her hurtful wording.