lysine won't hurt; some vets say ALL cats should be on it, but i don't think
it's fair for people who are desperately seeking help for their
immune-compromised babies to think that something will do something that it
cannot. as i said, i think it's pretty darned miraculous enough as it is!

and when we talk to the vets who don't want to believe us in the first
place, saying things that are NOT accurate just gives them more reason to
ignore us or minimize us. like the 70% figure that was anecdotal in
sanctuaries and amongst mutli-FeLV homes for so long--it's NOW right there
in the Merck, and they can't ignore THAT--before it made it to the Merck
tho, it was just we crackpots....

if we want them to take us seriously, we have to know MORE than they
do--which, as in the old joke about women needing to work twice as hard,
isn't that difficult. we can NEVER underestimate how little knowledge many,
many vets seem to have about FeLV, FIV and FIP.

i could apologize for getting so passionate about this, but i won't, because
it's just SO important that SOMEONE have accurate, current information--and
it seems that it's up to us to be those someones.

MC

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Sally Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Wendy
>
> Since the feline herpes virus is fairly common in cats then I believe the
> addition of L lysine would be of benefit to cats with FELV especially if
> they are exhibiting cold-like symptoms. Semantics aside as to whether it
> boost the immune system or has some other mode of action, giving a cat that
> does not have the herpes virus L lysine will not do it any harm. I gave
> Junior lysine due to symptoms that would have indicated he had the herpes
> virus as well as FELV. Anything to help him fight off the secondary
> infections. I think you have a point about it's usefulness whether you are
> able to articulate as well as MC. I do not feel that this was meant to be
> inaccurate information. It certainly is not harmful information IMO.
>
> I also used Transfer Factor in Junior. It was not cheap and I am uncertain
> how much it helped. I was no longer able to afford the good stuff and I
> think his health slid a bit when I switched to a cheaper brand. If you are
> going to use Transfer factor be sure you get the 4Life formula. It has
> changed formulation but is it the plus form.
>
> Mary Christine you are a wonderful source of information and so passionate.
> Everyone here has been so kind to me and helped me keep Junior going far
> longer than the vet would have given him. They advised euthanizing. He
> lived
> another year and a half. Most of it good, Some not so good. It got  real
> bad
> very quick and the decision then was easy. I stay in the group in case I
> can
> help. I know I would certainly do things a bit different now. I hope I am
> not put to the test again.
>
> Sally

Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....