Kim, I am so sorry for what you are going through with your Cole.  We had to 
put our old guy to rest last Thursday and had lost our young cat to leukemia 
in March after owning him for only month.  It's been such heartbreak around 
here. Your Cole is way to young to leave for a healthy cat but you have 
managed to do what I only wish I could have done, keep him as long as you 
have.  That is wonderful that he has had a loving life this long.  You will 
have to make the decision for him.  It's the hardest thing you'll probably 
ever have to do but you must because he can't.  You've been with him a long 
time and will know when he is ready.  I do not want to sound discouraging 
here, but you need to decide how far you want to take this, financially and 
emotionally.  I personally will never again subject a sick cat to the 
constant vet visits, the myriad of medications and the horrendous expenses 
incurred.  I have nothing but guilt left from losing our little Himilayan. 
The blood work was grave yet we continued to have fluid drained from his 
lungs because he couldn't breath, give him medications that served no 
purpose at his stage and all in all created an almost unbearable situation 
for all of us.

Unfortunately only you can make this decision but trust your instincts, have 
a talk with Cole.  That's what we did with Len.  We bawled our heads off 
when he took his last breath but we know we did the right thing.

Thoughts and prayers with you.


I will say this,
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Kim Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:45 AM
Subject: [Felvtalk] my Cole, help!

> I am afraid I am on the verge of losing my loved and adored kitty, Cole. I 
> have had him for 6 1/2 years and we have had our ups and downs with some 
> illnesses but nothing a little TLC and medicine couldn't handle. I got 
> Cole when he was 5 months old from the Humane Society and about a week 
> after adopting him I found out he was feline leukemia positive. The Humane 
> Society said they would take him back and give me a "new" kitty. By that 
> point my heart was completely in love with him and there was no turning ba
> ck, I had to meet this challenge with strength and do all I had to take 
> care of him. Up until this point I knew that he would make it through all 
> of the colds, pneumonia's, gastro-intestinal issues, but now I am not sure 
> anymore. He is not acting like he would normally when he is 
> sneezing, coughing, breathing difficulties, or diarrhea. He just lays 
> around all the time, doesnt seem to be eating much or drinking much. Wet 
> food doesnt even make him happy! I have noticed that he is losing weight 
> as wel
> l. I have an appointment with the vet today to get him checked out but I 
> am scared that this will just be the beginning of the end. I am unsure of 
> how far to let him go. I don't know if I should keep treating everything 
> or if I should give up? The last thing I would ever want to do is prolong 
> his life and make him suffer more just so I could have more time with him. 
> Does anyone have any words of advice? I am new to this posting and I am 
> afraid of losing one of the most important things in my life and I am n
> ot sure how to even go about dealing with any of it!  Kim
> _______________________________________________
> Felvtalk mailing list
> __________ NOD32 3347 (20080811) Information __________
> This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.

Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to