You might try things that calm him, Rescue Remedy in the water,
Feliway spray, catnip (mine all prefer a plant or two or three so they
can roll in it or have fresh snacks).  He is anxious and fearful and
is picking up on your anxiety and your fear.  There are people on this
list, myself included, who believe animal communicators can help.  If
you are one of these, perhaps you should have one talk to all your
cats but this lovely gentleman particularly.  You can put up an area
for him to go out in (mine have dog kennels with toppers; one of them
could be accessed by a pet door in a window and ductwork). So much
depends on your situation.  RR, Feliway and catnip are relatively
inexpensive and may do the trick.

Good luck.