-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of MaryChristine
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:13 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] tests

please provide information about the PCR test you're talking about. the last
i'd heard, there were none available that wree consistently accurate and
reliable--they've been working on this for a long time and haven't been able
to establish a test that's acceptibly accurate across many labs.

i know that they HAVE developed one for FIV to determine if the virus is
vaccine-induced or not, but as of a month or so ago, it still wasn't
commercially available, tho it's expected to be soon.

as far as everything i've read, at this time, the IFA is still considered
the confirmatory test for FeLV. i'd love to see anything newer.

what has to remembered with FeLV is that, unlike FIV, the ELISA test is for
ANTIGENS, not antibodies--so a cat can test negative merely because the
exposure was too recent tos how up--so the negative isn't "false," it just
was too early. likewise, false positives may be false positives from all the
things inherent in the test, but they can also be true at that time: the cat
has been EXPOSED to the virus. antigens are NOT an immune response, however,
just an indiciation that the kitty has been closely exposed to the virus.

this is where the biggest misunderstandings arise: most adult cats will
throw the virus off anywhere between 30-120 days--their immune systems will
just knock it out. then a test will be negative because there are no longer
antigens wandering around irritating them. but if you test too soon, you'll
just get another positive result because the cat's body hasn't had the
chance to work the virus out.

doing an ELISA and an IFA right away will probably give you the same result
on both of them, because it's the EXPOSURE that's showing up. the only real
way to know is to consider a positive result for what it is: an indication
that kitty was in close contact with someone who had the virus. (we don't
know for sure, as far as i have seen, that a cat on the edge of throwing off
the virus itself can't still pass it on, perhaps at a subclinical
level?)--if you know when the last date the kitty could have been in contact
with another cat, test if 90-120 later than that..... with the IFA (or if
there really is a DNA/PCR test newly available, that one)

and then make the decisions.

MC

Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....