From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of amanda
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:18 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] my cat died age 7, have anorther FeLV cat, please
advise, (long)

Hi all, I'm Amanda I live in Japan, I don't know if I was a member
here before or not, I keep going from group to group, but I need
advice please. I just lost last week my beloved cat he was minus 4
months almost 7 years old! He was diagnosed when he was about 1 1/2
years old along with his sister. He also had a heart murmur that
developed into a full heart problem when he was 3 years old. Besides
taking the interferon when first had FeLV he never took any other
medications, he was treated holistically and was on a raw diet, he
would have cat food as a treat. He was very well sometimes had
diarrea if ate too many bugs outside or ate a rat! He was an outside
cat, but since just over 2 years ago I decided to have him on a
harness and kept him inside as one of our cats got into a fight and
had a heart attack ! He was healthy even. My cat (Sorry his name was
Silver chan), at first cried to go outside, I had an outside cage
for him too, and he soon ajusted to life on the leash, I'd take him
for many walks aday as I could. Sometimes we'd be attacked by the
neighbours tom cat (my cats are all neutered) and twice my cat got
stressed out and bit me instead as a result! But other wise he was
good natured. Since last fall 2007, I noticed that he didn't put on
weight on, I even forgot about that it could be related to having
FeLV , I thought maybe because he's on the leash and can't catch prey
much now, sometimes he still did! Those days I was spoiling him with
extra cat food with added rice, my husbands suggestion, I thought it
was o.k since he did have abit of rice maybe once a week with fish,
but he soon started getting stomach aches, so I stopped it, but would
still sometimes give a teaspoon of cat food as a treat, mostly I'd
try natural ones with no or low salt. I tried to keep him as stress
free as possible knowing he had a heart problem. He was also on DMG,
CoQ10, natto, and probiotics, for his heart. This year suddenly his
voice changed abit, so off to the vets and they thought it maybe
stress related, though I had gave him some chicken cat food that I
never gave before, so I stopped that and soon his voice became normal
again, that time was May and we had all the tests and x rays, and
nothing was found. During the summer sometimes he would vomit and he
always ate grass and maybe more lately, once or twice he vomitted a
little blood, I thought he just had a delicate stomach, so took care
not to give him too much food, ( he ate 3 small meals aday) He always
had some stress from stray cats passing on garden /land, taht May he
growled at one, so not sure if it was related. Anyway we adopted 3
more cats this summer, he's very good with other cats, but he would
get annoyed if they followed us on our walks, but we soon left them
and went alone which he loved but he didn't mind sharing the house
with them. Well just over 3 weeks ago I noticed him breathing fast,
I thought his heart had worsened but it was lymphoma cancer in his
chest and fluid arround his lungs, we tried chemo but made him worst
and he lost alot of weight, so he was just made comfortable for the
last weeks, he died on the 22nd. Of course I'm going through the self
blame phrase, I wish I hadn't given him cat food as snacks! and many
other things, I have anorther cat who has it now, he had interferon
and is now better and is on a raw diet and lactoferrin and digestive
enzymes, is there anything else I can do for him? And do you think
my cat Silver chan could have lived longer? I mean when he first lost
weight last year, maybe he should have had interferon again? I'm sure
it was all FeLV related but what could I or should I have done? I
really thought he didn't have FeLV anymore, and was just concerned
about his heart! Please also tell me your stories, what age did your
cats live to , what treatments, diet ect? I really don't want to
make any more mistakes, I feel like I killed my cat giving him cat
food that may have caused him to go downhill, or ..... I really don't
know, but some people say living to be almost 7 with FeLV isn't so
bad, his sister died age 3. Please advice, I'm making myself sick
from this self guilt!!! please advice and help me through this and
help me to help my new FeLV kitty!! Much love and hugs to you all,
Amanda and Tabby ,Tora(FeLV) Nora and Angel Silver chan.