thanks, carmen.....

you're much gentler than i in your evaluation of veterinary attitudes, and
the damage they do. the more i find of "old" literature that says what we
already know--bout it being bodily-fluids, not air, requiring close
consistent contact, how many exposed cats either never become positive or
throw the virus off (70%, in the merck veterinary manual), and how many
positive kitties live quite happily with negatives, the more unhappy i
become with the professionals who have chosen not to follow the literature.

the need to retest, and NOT to make life-and-death decisions was taught in
at least some vet schools as much as 20 years ago, and the STRONG
RECOMMENDATION to retest has been in the professional lit since the early
2000s at least.......

additionally, there are still no documented cases that i have ever found of
a vaccinated truly negative cat (tested negative on both the ELISSA and IFA,
at an appropriate interval to rule out exposure) who has ever turned
positive from LIVING WITH (as opposed to just visiting or passing in the
night) a true positive (also tested more than once.)

even at its highest incidence, FeLV only appears in less than 10% of the
population natively--if it were as contagious as we are STILL being led to
believe, there would be no feral colonies. think about it......

MC

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Carmen Conklin <cwshel...@wildblue.net>wrote:

> I am writing in response to Lauries note about Isabella.  I have had
> several
> negative FeLV cats that have been mixed with the FeLV positives over the
> years and NONE of them ever acquired a positive status to the FeLV. It is
> definitely NOT an airborne disease in any way and it takes a very prolonged
> exposure for any negative cats to even possibly acquire the FeLV UNLESS
> they
> are bitten and direct blood is passed. Most adult cats are simply immune to
> FeLV and IF exposed at all, simply shed it off-they do not test postive
> even
> if living with those kitties. We have worked with hundreds of FeLV kitties
> over the last 25  years, and the non positives who lived with even the
> sympomatic positives did not become positive in their long lifetimes. One
> recently died of old age-not FeLV.
> Anyway, most people and some vets still have a pretty healthy fear of FeLV,
> but for those of us who have worked with these wonderful kitties for awhile
> and have them for companion animals, experience  is a great calmer of all
> fears of FeLV positives. Carmen

Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....

MaryChristine