Mary Christine, I believe, plain and simple that vets realize the huge number of homeless cats, in shelters, in foster and just running wild and simply look at positive or even ill cats as something that should be irradicated. The first thing I was offered when Boo was found to be positive was euthanization. Because we decided not to we saved at least one other cat that I know of from that fate. A family had brought a young cat in to be neutered and were given the news of her being positive and didn't know if they wanted to take on that responsibility. My husband and I knowing Boo would not be around for long said we would take her, being so young and symptom free. After the vet told them about us and our situation they decided they wanted to keep her. They really loved the cat. Our vet even said he wanted to keep her but he had 3 cats at home already. We were the only people who ever went as far as we did to help Boo according to our vet and he became far more educated because of him. I don't fault the vets. Most ordinary uninformed people will elect not to keep the cat so a lot of vets just don't have the experience dealing with the disease.

Lynne
----- Original Message ----- From: "MaryChristine" <twelvehousec...@gmail.com>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] mixing FeLV pos and neg

thanks, carmen.....

you're much gentler than i in your evaluation of veterinary attitudes, and
the damage they do. the more i find of "old" literature that says what we
already know--bout it being bodily-fluids, not air, requiring close
consistent contact, how many exposed cats either never become positive or
throw the virus off (70%, in the merck veterinary manual), and how many
positive kitties live quite happily with negatives, the more unhappy i
become with the professionals who have chosen not to follow the literature.

the need to retest, and NOT to make life-and-death decisions was taught in
at least some vet schools as much as 20 years ago, and the STRONG
RECOMMENDATION to retest has been in the professional lit since the early
2000s at least.......

additionally, there are still no documented cases that i have ever found of a vaccinated truly negative cat (tested negative on both the ELISSA and IFA,
at an appropriate interval to rule out exposure) who has ever turned
positive from LIVING WITH (as opposed to just visiting or passing in the
night) a true positive (also tested more than once.)

even at its highest incidence, FeLV only appears in less than 10% of the
population natively--if it were as contagious as we are STILL being led to
believe, there would be no feral colonies. think about it......

MC