Hi Gillian,

Thanks for caring for these kitties, and for joining FELVtalk - this is a wonderful group of people. I wasn't clear about what you meant about FIV, but thought I'd say something about that. I have had FELV cats for several years, and also FIV cats. Although I do have 2 FELV cats that are over 10, most seem to die when they're 2-4 years of age. However, my FIV cats go on forever and have no problems. I just lost one FIV cat, Hambone, that I've had for 5 years, but he was approaching 18 years of age. Many vets are cautious about FIV, but we follow the Best Friends approach - much of the hoopla is just a rumor, and I think vets don't keep up with the times. Like HIV, FIV is contagious thru blood transfusion (or deep bite wound) and possibly breeding (we neuter all our cats). We mix FIV cats with non-FIV cats. Some mix FELV cats with non-FELV cats (I would if I didn't regularly adopt out and I don't want to have to test again). I've read and been told that neither virus is transmitted thru the air.

I rescue cats so cant afford expensive cat food. I feed Science Diet, from our rescue, and ordinary cat food from the grocery store. If I had 1 or 2 cats, I'd probably try for high dollar cat food, but this works for my situation. I do feed wet food every morning, and free- feed dry food the rest of the time. Everybody has their own approach -

There are some FIV groups out on groups.yahoo.com, btw.

Hope this helps and you have wonderful good fortune with your kitties.

Gloria