Hi Gillian and thank you for rescuing those kitties.  You'll get many different
answers to your question on the best food.  I have no experience with FIV only
FeLV.  The best food is the highest quality food your cats will eat.  Mine,
positives and negatives, turn up their noses at the supposedly high end canned
foods but devour their Fancy Feast.  They also have a variety of dry foods for
grazing throughout the day.

Your last line says it all - love is the best medicine for these kitties.
Sharyl