I'd probably use Azithromycin, preferably.

Gloria

On Apr 13, 2009, at 12:23 PM, Laurieskatz wrote:

Thank-you for this. The five babies were born last night. The mom sounds like she has mucous in her throat when she swallows and her purr sounds hoarse but there are no other symptoms. The foster mom started l lysine. Mama kitty ("Spring") is eating. No discharge from eyes or nose. Symptoms have not worsened since she got there Saturday noon so foster mom is hopeful this is not a URI. Any thoughts based on symptoms? Still think she should
treat the mama?
Thank-you!\
Laurie

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of
patricia.a.elk...@gsk.com
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:11 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] OT - will kittens born to mom with URI have URI?

My experience has been that the kittens will get the URI and it can be a
killer.
I would personally get the mom on an antibiotic right away and get some
antibiotic that can
be given to the kittens from birth.  Just the tiniest amount can save
kittens.

It is by far the best idea to aggressively treat the mom before the
kittens are born and not
wait around while the URI gets worse. Lots of sick moms will stop nursing
or licking the kittens at all
when they get very congested. And the moms may stop eating so no milk. The kittens will have the best chance to survive if the fosterer can get
the mom through the worst
of it before the kittens arrive.

Generally, an antibiotic is critical even if the URI is a virus.  A
vaporizer or humidifier is extremely
helpful because congestion makes the mom miserable and she may stop eating
if she can't smell.
When the fosterer takes her to the vet to get her looked at, they should
definitely get the vet
to discuss and prescribe for congestion.

We have just gone through this in my rescue group for several litters in
which all kittens died.
I don't want to be too negative but want to get across that it is not a
time to take a wait and see attitude until they are all very sick.