I cooked for Mai Mai and Dixie using a similar system. However, I froze the food in muffin pans, popped them out and bagged them. This gave me a day's meals or a serving at a time. I watch the chickens as they get near the sale by date. Frequently stores will mark them down dramatically a day or two before they have to throw them out. I have been able to get whole fryers at 49 cents a pound and chicken breasts at 79 cents a pound. The fryers produce lots of broth that I freeze in the "lollipops" for Mom's ferals. Nothing is wasted and all I have to do is put the chicken in a slow cooker. Being vegetarian, I prefer to cook a lot at once. My cats prefer the chicken in pieces though. The same could be done with beef or pork. I have added chopped raw veggies (the ones that are high in vitamin C) to the mixture. I am blessed with a freezer so I can pick up chicken in quantity when I find a good buy.