I'm certainly no expert in socializing ferals but sometimes that term is
used too freely--not all strays are totally feral.  If he's letting you see
him and at least coming close, he is not completely feral but probably not
too socialized.

One idea I sort of stumbled onto out of necessity for my Romeo (who was much
older) was to put him in a big wire crate on top of some boxes in my
bedroom.  I covered over two sides so he could see out the front and out of
one side.  The crate was big enough to put a small litter box and his food
dishes and still have room for him to lie down on a towel I put in.  I
worked at home and my computer was in my bedroom so he spent the first few
days lying in the litter box following me with his eyes as I walked around.
Then after a few days, I left the crate door open and realized that when I
wasn't around, he had started exploring but always jumped back to his "safe"
place when he heard anyone coming.  Then I started putting his food dish on
the floor right next to the crate and he would jump down to eat and then
jump back up.  About a week later, I moved his litter box to the bathroom
about 10' from the crate and he started going there, again very carefully.
We went like that for a couple of weeks and he'd jump back in when I ran the
vacumn cleaner, when the TV or radio was too loud, etc--but during all that
time, he kept watching everything and figured out what was safe.

About 3 weeks after I got him, I happened to look over the top of my monitor
one day and noticed he had jumped on my bed!  He was real scared and kept
walking carefully trying to figure out what the heck this was.  He jumped
off when he saw me looking but jumped back up 10 minutes later.  This time,
he figured out this wasn't a bad place to sleep and I knew we were going to
be fine when he curled up and went to sleep in the middle of the bed.

I kept the crate up for another month or so just to give him his safe place
but he jumped in less and less and when I finally moved it out, he never
looked back!

Christiane Biagi
Cell:  914-720-6888
ti...@mindspring.com
Volunteer-St. Bernard Parish Animal Shelter
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbpshelter/sets/72157603921945483/