I want to vent, too! I've had a bad, bad day!
I work at a county shelter and we have just about had it with people. A woman
called today and told me that she was getting ready to call Channel 2 news
about us, because we were so very rude. Why was she ticked off? Because she
surrendered her dog 2 weeks ago - she and her husband "couldn't tolerate" the
dog's destructive behavior - and we were not "doing enough" to get her dog
adopted. Ummmm......you weren't willing to spend any time and effort whatsoever
on your dog, so why would anyone else? They decided to just reclaim the dog
today, since they didn't want her to be euthanized. My colleague who handled
the reclaim very nicely questioned the husband about his plans for the dog.
Would they work with her, train her, try to find her another home? After all,
we didn't want the dog to be reclaimed only to be dumped on us again. Not
exactly fair to the dog, is it? The husband said he was ready to start cursing
out my coworker, and apparently a nasty
 email is in the works. And someone else dumped his dog because she had a hot
spot, and he didn't want to pay a vet, and when we told him that we had a
low-cost vet we could refer him to, the excuse was, "She's too wild around the
kids." We try to help them, and they counter with another BS excuse. I'm sick
of it!
And you guys will love this one. Last week a woman surrendered 5 kittens. It
seems that THREE of her cats had litters of 7 at the same time, and she needs
to round up all the kittens and bring them to us, because, of course, they all
roam around outside! She then proceeded to blame the neighborhood tomcats for
knocking up her females, when naturally it's her irresponsibility that got her
into this mess. They are planning to bring us nearly 30 cats in all. We had to
euthanize FIFTY cats and kittens last week, and just as many this week, and
STILL people refuse to spay/neuter or keep their animals confined when they're
in heat.
This has to stop. It just has to stop.