I use 18 gallon rubbermaid (or knock-off) totes. Depending on age and condition, your cat may be able to jump in to the tote. This works for Copper and Thomas and worked for Dixie. I started this with Ebony who was getting a little older and had touble "getting down." The urine hit the back of the tote and eliminated a lot of problems (yes, you have to clean it more often if this happens but I would rather clean plastic than drywall). I cut a U-shaped piece out of the tote on a short end for Ebony. If you find you have to make the cut out make it high so Pepper has to really work at hitting the opening. I never put a lid on the tote. Do not put too much litter in the tote. It is tempting to put extra in but you don't need it and it may make it uncomfortable for the cat to walk.