From: Cougar Clan <maima...@duo-county.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:51:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] OT: Kitty box with a lip to catch urine???

I use 18 gallon rubbermaid (or knock-off) totes.  Depending on age and
condition, your cat may be able to jump in to the tote.  This works for Copper
and Thomas and worked for Dixie.  I started this with Ebony who was getting a
little older and had touble "getting down."  The urine hit the back of the tote
and eliminated a lot of problems (yes, you have to clean it more often if this
happens but I would rather clean plastic than drywall).  I cut a U-shaped piece
out of the tote on a short end for Ebony.  If you find you have to make the cut
out make it high so Pepper has to really work at hitting the opening.  I never
put a lid on the tote.  Do not put too much litter in the tote.  It is tempting
to put extra in but you don't need it and it may make it uncomfortable for the
cat to walk.
On Jun 28, 2009, at 3:38 PM, wendy wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I haven't posted much in the past few months.  Can hardly keep up with life
> offline, much less online.  I hope all of you are doing well, as well as your
> furbabies.
>
> I have an 'engineering' question for you guys. I have a healthy kitty,
> Pepper, who keeps backing up to the litter box opening and peeing, and of
> course it goes outside the box, and then urine pools underneath the box (I
> even use a Christmas tree tray under the box to catch the urine, but still it
> gets quite ripe after a couple of days).  She's been doing this for years and
> I just keep cleaning it up. But as all of you probably can identify, I hate
> the smell and the clean-up, and was wondering if any of you have a similar
> sitation with any of your cats and how you deal with it?  I've tried
> different kitty boxes, but as long as they have an opening, the pee is going
> in that direction. There's got to be an easier way to deal with this. I was
> thinking maybe I could make some kind of lip on the opening edge to direct
> the pee to a receptacle??? Any ideas out there?
>
> Thanks!
> :)
> Wendy
>  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change
>the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"    ~~~ Margaret Meade
>~~~

Marylyn, Copper & Thomas