They make a pad to put under nursing home/hospital patiences that is washable. I used some several years ago with a dog who was in the process of leaving this world. Another thought is the odor of the litter. None of my cats have ever accepted frangranced litter (they have all been feral). None would have considered a closed in litterbox either.

Rubbermaid or knock-off totes are $4-$6 a piece. I haven't priced litterboxes lately but I would rather spend the few dollars difference on other things.
On Jun 29, 2009, at 6:20 AM, Kat wrote:

Hi Wendy,

They do make a top-opening litter box:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0002ZS20I/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=284507&s=kitchen

But maybe Pepper is objecting to the texture of the litter on her paws?
Have you tried using different litter - or even an empty litter box?

Also, if nothing else works, you could get some of the doggy "pee pads" to put under the box - that way the urine gets absorbed by the pads & makes
clean-up much easier.

Good Luck!

Kat (Mew Jersey)

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009, wendy wrote:

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:38:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: wendy <wendy2...@yahoo.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] OT: Kitty box with a lip to catch urine???

Hey guys,

I haven't posted much in the past few months. Can hardly keep up with
life offline, much less online. I hope all of you are doing well, as
well as your furbabies.

I have an 'engineering' question for you guys. I have a healthy kitty, Pepper, who keeps backing up to the litter box opening and peeing, and of course it goes outside the box, and then urine pools underneath the
box (I even use a Christmas tree tray under the box to catch the
urine, but still it gets quite ripe after a couple of days). She's
been doing this for years and I just keep cleaning it up. But as all
of you probably can identify, I hate the smell and the clean-up, and
was wondering if any of you have a similar sitation with any of your
cats and how you deal with it? I've tried different kitty boxes, but
as long as they have an opening, the pee is going in that
direction. There's got to be an easier way to deal with this. I was
thinking maybe I could make some kind of lip on the opening edge to
direct the pee to a receptacle??? Any ideas out there?

Thanks! :) Wendy

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can
change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"    ~~~
Margaret Meade ~~~

Marylyn, Copper & Thomas