When I had this insane thought that I'd rehome my 2nd FELV + cat, the late
great Romeo, I learned that its not easy--particularly over the phone.  But
the ONE thing that seemed to work real well is a vet reference.  I found
vets, or rather the office manager, pretty clear in their assessments.  The
scary thing is that there were a couple of people who asked about adopting
him who sounded great on the phone but when I talked to their vet, the
horror stories gave me the chills.  And the other side of the coin is that
those folks who got great vet references clearly were known to their vet for
following up and giving good care.

Of course, the problem is when you have a potential adopter who does not now
have a pet or a current vet.  But one thing I learned in doing postKatrina
reunion work, if you get somebody to talk about their pet or a pet they used
to have, you get a real good sense of their attitudes.  If they don't
include in their conversation all those little things about a pet that we
all know about--those tiny little things that make our pet unique (what they
like to eat, what they like to play with, where they sleep, what they do
when they're mad, what funny sounds or gestures they make, etc.)--then they
weren't too attentive and the potential for a future adoption dims.

Christiane Biagi
Cell:  914-720-6888
ti...@mindspring.com
Volunteer-St. Bernard Parish Animal Shelter
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbpshelter/sets/72157603921945483/