You know, there really is a lack of exhaustive studies on this whole
question.  Mortality rates are based on study of cats who already test
positive.  And, I have never been able to find a really good study on the
prevalence of either FIV or FELV...  Studies are done of particular
colonies, or of some sort of controlled population.  But absent some
scientific, purely random and large scale testing of owned as well as
strays/ferals, I do not believe that anybody really knows how many cats are
out there with these conditions.  Absent that, it's a tossup to make
predictions on rates of transmissions.

The one 'fact' that has always struck me is that neither of these viruses
are considered new--they have been around since forever.  If they were
indeed as lethal or contagious as some would have you think, then there
would be no cats left.  Remember that its only a recent development, even in
this country, that cats are taken to vets for shots, for testing, etc.  We
always had cats when I was a kid but I could count on one hand the number of
times any of them went to a vet.  Since all our cats were strays that we
took in, I can only assume that at least one or two were positive for
something.  I know this will sound very crass, but in some ways, ignorance
was bliss... Our cats were loved, well taken care of, and lived happy, (and
generally) long lives...

Christiane Biagi
Cell:  914-720-6888
ti...@mindspring.com