Lorrie,
Yes, I think raw is the best also.  If you go to those websites, they give
you step-by-step instructions on how to make it. You have to be careful to
follow the recommended proportions.  It does take a little time to convince
the cats that this is what they should be eating.  One of mine, a 12 year
old dry food 'addict' took almost 2 months to completely change to this
diet.  The others were much easier to convince.  I just mixed it with a good
canned food, progressively adding more raw.  They will eventually eat it by
itself and love it, you just have to be determined.  Occasionally, I do give
some canned food for variety, or when I run out of the raw.  On those
websites, they also explain how to grind it -- you will have to buy a
grinder, and yes, you should use real bones.  Its daunting at first,
but gets easier everytime you make it.

Tracey