>
>
>

Hey Renee

Welcome to the US.  Not a great start finding out you have a little bundle
of joy with a deadly virus.  You do have an advantage, however.  You have a
chance to fight this early.  I would not let this window of opportunity
close.

Felv cats are susceptible to secondary infections as their immune system is
not up to par.  Not only because of the virus but also because of his age.
I have a number of suggestions although I may be too late to interject.

1.  Do not vaccinate your felv cat with conventional vaccinations.  Vets may
recommend it, but don't. (You could try the alternative vaccinations if you
are concerned.)   They don't have the proper immune system to fight it.  You
put them in jeopardy of lots of other problems.  If you keep him inside away
from the possibility of picking up the viruses the vaccinations protect
against, you should be okay.

2.  Start any treatment now.  Whether that means LTCI (from imulan),
interferon, Acemannan or alternative immune boosters like high dose vitamin
C, wei qui booster etc.  Please please please start now.  Right now you are
fighting the secondary infections (the upper respiratory infections, oral
and eye infections).  You need to be more concerned about what's happening
underneath - the felv virus working it's way into all the cells of his bone
marrow leading to severe anemia, neutropenia, leukemia or lymphoma - these
things will kill him.  Granted some cats can clear the virus or simply hold
it at bay for life but some will die from it.  It's not known how to predict
who will do well and who won't so if you want to be on the safe side, treat
now.  If you start early enough sometimes you can reverse the viral status.
It may be too late now, but it may be worth trying.

3.  The acute issue of diarrhea may be secondary to antibiotic use (in which
case try a probiotic like acidophilus, you can get it at any vitamin store
or walgreens), may be a parasitic/bacterial/viral infection (bring stool
sample to vet - you don't have to bring him in for that), may be stress or
secondary to food change (change foods slowly by mixing foods, a raw diet or
high protein diet is generally considered the best for these cats), may
respresent something more serious but I would try the aforementioned first
(if there is not an explanation or improvement with the above, I would
follow with blood work (CBC - complete blood count, BMP - basic metabolic
panel, viral panel - includes feline corona virus and multiple other causes
of these types of symptoms)  I would not be idle with a felv cat that
displays symptoms of illness.

With respect to the other cat, I am happy she is negative, I would probably
retest in a few months as she also would have been exposed. Given that she
has been vaccinated and exposed without acquiring the virus you are probably
safe to mix them, but there is always a chance in this.  Younger cats are
more susceptible to acquiring and dying from the disease so it is a chance.
The vaccine is pretty good but not 100% effective.  That is decision only
you can make.  Good luck and may God bless you.

Jenny
_______________________________________________
Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org

Reply via email to