I just saw an article at Bestfriends.org which I was surprised and disappointed
about:

http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimals/pdfs/cats/catfelv.pdf

The author includes "What happens to a cat who has contracted the virus?"

and says "The virus adversely affects the cat’s bone marrow and immune system.
An infected cat becomes anemic and is unable to
fight off even routine infections. Cats with feline leukemia are commonly
jaundiced and lethargic, and they experience weight
loss, enlarged lymph nodes, and poor stamina."

It sounds like an FELV cat is going to die immediately after getting the virus.
 So I can see folks reading that article and then
euthing their FELV kitties, thinking they're doing them a favor. The 5 FELV
cats that I have now haven't seen any sickness since
I've had them.

Gloria