Lisa, I know you don't want to hear this but dental prob;ems can lead to a
whole bunch of other issues if not addressed.  Tommy needs to be examined by a
vet familiar with dental issues.

He may have periodontal disease (inflamed gums) which can lead to heart and
kidney issues.  Treatment could be as simple as an antibiotic.  FORLs is
another issue which is very painful.  Dental issues can be very painful and
affect his willingness to eat.  The longer you wait the worse the problem will
get.

I know dental surgery can be scary but with the proper precautions should not
be that dangerous.  Here is a link to info from a CRF website on precautions to
be used during the surgery.
http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#dental_precautions

I would make sure your vet followed these precautions.
Hugs to Tommy
Sharyl