My sister's cat, Alex, is diabetic and also had muscle atrophy. It got so bad
that he was dragging one of his back legs around, and when he went up the
stairs, you'd know it without being there by the sound of the flop as he
climbed a step.

My parents took Alex off of my sister's hands. She has three other cats and a
busy Corgi, and Alex, being the eldest, just wasn't doing well. My dad really
worked hard to get Alexander's blood sugar up and to get him regular potassium.
After about five or six months of treatment, Alex is a new cat. He can jump and
climb again, and he's much more confident in general.