unlike november 2009, IDEXX held the exclusive patent on at least part of
the SNAP test technology. there were similar tests on the market, but since
i just found out about the patent-expiration, i don't have the details re:
how different the others were. i do know that the IDEXX tests, tho not
without problems, were widely considered (in independent studies) as the
best re: accuracy AND ease of interpretation.

knowing about the patent issue sort of finalized it for me, and speaking
with folks more on the business end of things, their reaction was similar:
losing that exclusivity made it imperative for them to come up with
something to patent as new and different, and all theirs.

just since yesterday, i've found that false HW negatives are turning up in
high numbers too--i guess that has been going on, but since my concern is
FIV/FeLV, i just wasn't hearing about it.

apparently, vets are becoming aware of this, but probably not quickly
enough. please mention it when you see yours; when the vets start talking
amongst themselves, it'll spread through conferences and other
get-togethers.

any time you hear of a shelter or rescue that's got a rise in FIV/FeLV, tell
them to look into the pattern--

i'm very sorry that because of physical issues, i'm not able right now to
contact everyone that i could check with, and then try to talk with IDEXX. i
just cannot.

MC
--
Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!