Thank you for all of your excellent suggestions.  Maybe with a retractable
leash she might learn to enjoy the harness!

On 19 Sep, 2010,at 01:02 AM, Natalie <at...@optonline.net> wrote:

We adopted a kitten when we lived in Sweden years ago. We walked her on a
leash in a park across the street, and either my husband or I had to walk in
front of her, and Tita would follow. She loved watching the birds that were
in the aviaries in the park.

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Sharyl
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 11:39 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Fw: New to Feline Leukemia

A safer option might be to order Fiji a harness and taking her for walks.
It's pretty hard to walk a cat with a collar but a harness is pretty safe.
You;d have to put it on her a few times inside 1st so she got used to it.
Then she could safely explore the great outdoors. By the way you don't walk
a cat. They walk you. LOL

Mattie, my blind FeLV kitty loved going outside and exploring. I used a
harness and one of those retractable leashes.
Sharyl

On Sep 17, 2010, at 11:04 PM, Melinda Kerr wrote:

> I forgot to add that on our very small base there are
no wild animals, most strays are caught almost immediately (
Fuji is collared and chipped) and the likelihood of Fuji
coming across and getting into a confrontation with another
cat are very slim.  Most people who have cats brought
them from the states and have already had them
vaccinated.  Again, very few are actually let
out.  The speed limit on most of the base is less than
40 kilometers per hour (about 25 mph.)  I know there
are a lot of things she can come across if she goes
outside.  I'll probably keep trying to sit out with her
as I have done since she got sick.  However, if she
occasionally manages to escape my clutches, I won't worry
too much!  She stays pretty close and always comes home
in a couple of hours.  I really am trying to do my best
to keep her healthy and happy.