Alice, a couple of thoughts.  Decreasing the pred has to be done gradually.
Instead of going to 5 mg 1x/day maybe 2.5 mg 2x/day could be easier on Murphy.
You could talk to your vet.

The L-lysine powder is tasteless but if Murphy won't eat it mixed in his food
then maybe adding 1/4 tsp to his water would help.  I add l-lysine to the water
for mine and the 2 feral colonies I feed to help prevent URIs.

I enjoy your Murphy updates.  Hope he is breathing easier soon.
Sharyl