I'm so sorry to read Spanky now has this problem.  There is a Yahoo heart group
that may help.

Did your vet give Spanky any Lasix?  It does help reduce the fluid.  My sweet
Albert went into CHF and was dx with severe HCM. When he went into CHF the vet
gave him days/wks to live.   He was lasix for 1 1/2 yrs before his little heart
gave out.

It is something to try.
Sharyl