To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2010 6:31 AM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Introductions & Questions

Hi Everyone,
I hope I'm doing this right. I've not belonged to a group like this before so I'm hoping this message is going to the right place. My husband and I have some experience with FeLV kitties as we took in a feral cat several years ago who tested positive. We were very lucky with Scampi in that he didn't have any problems from his disease until he was 13 years old when it got the better of him and we had to euthanize him. We now have another kitty who has tested positive for FeLV and has recently started having some problems so I would love to get some opinions on her from some of the more experienced members. Eden was a stray who came up to us in a field where we run our 5 dogs at night. We heard a cat meowing and as we got closer the meowing got louder. My husband pinpointed the sound and then suddenly this very skinny cat came walking out of the brush towards my husband. She was sweet as can be and starving nearly to death. We picked her up and brought her home and at her firs! t vet check she tested positive for FeLV. She has been retested since then and has again come up with what the vet called a "strong positive". Eden is about 9 or 10 months old and had been doing well for the couple of months that we've had her. She recently stopped eating and just sort of looked like she wasn't feeling well so we took her to the vet. My regular vet was off so another vet cared for Eden. She did some blood work and found that Eden had a low WBC and neutrophil count, which as we know, is not that unusual for a FeLV kitty. But Eden also had a high temp so she got some IV fluids and antibiotics. She was able to come home after spending the night at the clinic but then a few days later she had the same symptoms. This time her temp was a bit higher then it had been the first time. She stayed again at the clinic, got some IV fluids and rebounded again. She came home this past Saturday and has been doing pretty well. She eats small meals several times a day and tak!
es her antibiotics in a pill pocket without any trouble at all. She sl
eeps alot though and is not back to her normal self yet. The vet who took care of Eden thought that she was in the end stages of her FeLV and wasn't sure Eden would recover. But she has and we hope she continues to get better. Eden seems young to be in the end stage of her disease, although her system overall seems quite sensitive so maybe she's just more affected by the virus then other cats tend to be. The vet did not mention any of the treatments that are currently being used for FeLV and I'm wondering if there is anything that would be of benefit to Eden. She is so young and so precious and clearly didn't have a great start in life so we are so hoping to be able to give her a good life for however many years she has. Any thoughts or advice for our sweet girl would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brenda