My Tucson had a couple of episodes of very low wbc & vet treated her with
immune regulin injections.  Seemed to have brought her blood count up pretty
quickly...

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of
brenda_osbou...@hotmail.com
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2010 9:31 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Introductions & Questions

Hi Everyone,
I hope I'm doing this right. I've not belonged to a group like this before
so I'm hoping this message is going to the right place. My husband and I
have some experience with FeLV kitties as we took in a feral cat several
years ago who tested positive. We were very lucky with Scampi in that he
didn't have any problems from his disease until he was 13 years old when it
got the better of him and we had to euthanize him. We now have another kitty
who has tested positive for FeLV and has recently started having some
problems so I would love to get some opinions on her from some of the more
experienced members. Eden was a stray who came up to us in a field where we
run our 5 dogs at night. We heard a cat meowing and as we got closer the
meowing got louder. My husband pinpointed the sound and then suddenly this
very skinny cat came walking out of the brush towards my husband. She was
sweet as can be and starving nearly to death. We picked her up and brought
her home and at her first vet check she tested positive for FeLV. She has
been retested since then and has again come up with what the vet called a
"strong positive". Eden is about 9 or 10 months old and had been doing well
for the couple of months that we've had her. She recently stopped eating and
just sort of looked like she wasn't feeling well so we took her to the vet.
My regular vet was off so another vet cared for Eden. She did some blood
work and found that Eden had a low WBC and neutrophil count, which as we
know, is not that unusual for a FeLV kitty. But Eden also had a high temp so
she got some IV fluids and antibiotics. She was able to come home after
spending the night at the clinic but then a few days later she had the same
symptoms. This time her temp was a bit higher then it had been the first
time. She stayed again at the clinic, got some IV fluids and rebounded
again. She came home this past Saturday and has been doing pretty well. She
eats small meals several times a day and takes her antibiotics in a pill
pocket without any trouble at all. She sleeps alot though and is not back to
her normal self yet. The vet who took care of Eden thought that she was in
the end stages of her FeLV and wasn't sure Eden would recover. But she has
and we hope she continues to get better. Eden seems young to be in the end
stage of her disease, although her system overall seems quite sensitive so
maybe she's just more affected by the virus then other cats tend to be. The
vet did not mention any of the treatments that are currently being used for
FeLV and I'm wondering if there is anything that would be of benefit to
Eden. She is so young and so precious and clearly didn't have a great start
in life so we are so hoping to be able to give her a good life for however
many years she has. Any thoughts or advice for our sweet girl would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brenda