Thank You so much for your informative information. I really appreciate it!
 Jannes

________________________________
From: Jacquelyn Gonzales <jgonza...@pacbell.net>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Mon, March 14, 2011 4:08:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Any advice appreciated.

Hi Jannes:

The FELV/FIV Combo SNAP tests can have a lot of cross-reactivity resulting in
false positives.  IF you tested via the in-house FELV/FIV Combo test (the test
they run in the vet's office) you should retest via the ELISA test that is sent
to the lab. Alternatively, you could test via the IFA test now and if the test
is positive, the cat is considered persistently viremic and no further testing
is required.

The ELISA test shows the presence of an antigen created by the cat's immune
response to FeLV infection in the red blood cells, while the IFA shows this
same
antigen in the white blood cells. The difference is that the antigen only goes
into the white cells at a later stage of infection, which is why IFA+ cats are
considered persistently viremic while an ELISA+ / IFA- cat may have a transient
viremia that can be completely thrown off.

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to the testing.  You can test
via the IFA now and if it is positive, the cat is considered persistently
viremic and no further testing is needed.  If you test via the IFA test and it
is negative, you have to test via the ELISA lab test. I have FELV+ cats of my
own and have rescued others. If you have discordant test results, you cannot
consider the cat FELV negative until you get results that match.

There is no need to wait 3 months.  If I were you, I would test via the ELISA
test that is sent to the lab now.  If it is positive, the next step is to test
via the IFA test.