I foster cats and kittens for my local humane society.  Last week a 2 year old 
kitty died.  She tested positive for FeLV.  I got her as a kitten and at that 
time she tested negative.  I have got quite a few cats that have been living 
with me as long as she has been with me.  They all share the same food bowls 
and litterboxes.  None are vaccinated against FeLV since every cat or kitten 
that comes into my house has been tested first.  It terrified me when I found 
out she had been positive, especially since I have a 5 month old kitten that 
has been living with me since he was 8 weeks old.  Today I had him and an older 
kitten that is about 8 months old tested at the vet's office.  The older kitten 
has been with me since he was about 12 weeks old.  They both came out negative. 
 A couple weeks ago I had an adult that had been with me almost as long as the 
FeLV cat was with me and she tested negative as well.  So, I tell you this 
Jannes to confirm what the others have said because it shows that not all cats 
contract FeLV and there is no need to panic right now.  The vet felt that since 
those kittens and the cat that I had tested had been exposed to FeLV for so 
long that if they were going to get it they would have already gotten it.  
Especially the cat that had lived at my house with the FeLV + cat for a year 
and a half.

A friend of mine has also had 3 or 4 FeLV positive cats living alongside her 
healthy cats for years.  She gets her healthy cats vaccinated against FeLV and 
they have never contracted the disease from the FeLV cats.  I would vaccinate 
your healthy cats now and let the FeLV + cat run around the basement and if she 
tests negative in a few months or test negative with the ELISA and IFA test I 
would let her in the rest of the house with the other cats.  But, that's what I 
would do, not necessarily what you should do.  Actually, I would trust the 
vaccine and after your healthy cats get their vaccination (it takes a series of 
two shots the first time) then I'd let all three hang together.  But it's your 
cats and you have to make that decision.

“I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are 
profitable to the human race or doesn’t….the pain which it inflicts upon 
unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me 
sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further.” – Mark Twain

> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:26:53 -0700
> From: jgonza...@pacbell.net
> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Any advice appreciated.
> I realize now that I did not address the concern you posted about.  I felt 
> the need to educate you about the testing protocol for FELV because I would 
> hate to see you cage a cat for 3 months that may not even be infected with 
> the virus.  You cannot consider a cat persistently viremic until they test 
> positive on the IFA test.  
> If it turns out the cat you rescued is really FELV positive, she is not going 
> to transmit the virus to your other cats through some chance encounter.  It 
> would take prolonged contact with your other cats to infect them with the 
> virus.  Even if they had prolonged contact, it does not mean your other cats 
> would get the virus.  Some cats are able to build an immune response and 
> fight off the virus.  I rescued a cat over the summer that tested positive on 
> the combo snap test and the ELISA test but tested negative on the IFA.  
> Thirty days later, he tested negative on the snap test, the ELISA test and 
> continued to test negative on the IFA test.  As a precaution, we tested again 
> 30 days later, and he continued to test negative on all three tests.  His 
> body built an immune defense and fought off the virus
> --- On Mon, 3/14/11, Jannes Taylor <jannestay...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Jannes Taylor <jannestay...@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Felvtalk] Any advice appreciated.
> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> Date: Monday, March 14, 2011, 1:50 PM
> Hello,
> I rescued a stray two weeks ago. Took her to the vet a week ago and they said 
> she was FELV positive. She was starving when I found her, but she has gained 
> weight and is looking good. Her eyes just glisten and she seems healthy. The 
> vet 
> said she was about a year old. She only weighed six pounds last week. I did 
> not 
> have the heart to euthanize her when she is not suffering.  However, I have 
> three healthy cats upstairs and I live in constant fear that they will escape 
> to 
> the basement where this cat we now call Amber is staying. I keep her in a 
> nice 
> cage during most of the time and let her out to get her exercise in the 
> basement 
> about four hours per day. My husband is building her a 8' long x 4' wide x 6' 
> tall cage so she will have more room I do hate keeping her caged up, but 
> don't 
> have a choice. She is very sweet and it is just a sad situation. I tried to 
> find 
> a home for her but no one seems to want a cat with her issues. We are trying 
> to 
> be very cautious regarding the other cats, but it is does make me fearful.
> I plan to have her rested in three months. I am so new to this situation, so 
> any 
> comments or ideas are much appreciated.
>  Jannes 
> _______________________________________________
> Felvtalk mailing list
> Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org
> _______________________________________________
> Felvtalk mailing list
> Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org
Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to