I foster cats and kittens for my local humane society.  Last week a 2 year old
kitty died.  She tested positive for FeLV.  I got her as a kitten and at that
time she tested negative.  I have got quite a few cats that have been living
with me as long as she has been with me.  They all share the same food bowls
and litterboxes.  None are vaccinated against FeLV since every cat or kitten
that comes into my house has been tested first.  It terrified me when I found
out she had been positive, especially since I have a 5 month old kitten that
has been living with me since he was 8 weeks old.  Today I had him and an older
kitten that is about 8 months old tested at the vet's office.  The older kitten
has been with me since he was about 12 weeks old.  They both came out negative.
 A couple weeks ago I had an adult that had been with me almost as long as the
FeLV cat was with me and she tested negative as well.  So, I tell you this
Jannes to confirm what the others have said because it shows that not all cats
contract FeLV and there is no need to panic right now.  The vet felt that since
those kittens and the cat that I had tested had been exposed to FeLV for so
long that if they were going to get it they would have already gotten it.
Especially the cat that had lived at my house with the FeLV + cat for a year
and a half.

A friend of mine has also had 3 or 4 FeLV positive cats living alongside her
healthy cats for years.  She gets her healthy cats vaccinated against FeLV and
they have never contracted the disease from the FeLV cats.  I would vaccinate
your healthy cats now and let the FeLV + cat run around the basement and if she
tests negative in a few months or test negative with the ELISA and IFA test I
would let her in the rest of the house with the other cats.  But, that's what I
would do, not necessarily what you should do.  Actually, I would trust the
vaccine and after your healthy cats get their vaccination (it takes a series of
two shots the first time) then I'd let all three hang together.  But it's your
cats and you have to make that decision.