I am sad to hear this too and Studs will be in my thoughts.  Second
transport related health crisis I've heard of recently--a week or two ago,
one of the big organizations (HSUS or someone) sent an e-mail out
fundraising for a small dog or puppy that was being transported in a car
with another, much larger dog, not in carriers and was attacked when they
stopped for gas or something to that effect, resulting in critical
injuries.  Very sad.