To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] posting to thread on Felvtalk

Lynn,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I was in the very same situation recently. I lost an adult cat to FeLV in January not realizing he was a positive until he suddenly became seriously ill. From the time of the diagnosis until I had to put him to sleep was one week. My 4 other (all indoor) cats had to be tested and luckily they all turned up negative so had them all vaccinated. They'd only been exposed to the positive one for about 6 months but they shared food and water bowls, litterboxes and bedding. My vet advised me to have them re-tested in 6 months. So far they all seem healthy but now that they've been exposed I check them regularly for any sign of enlarged lymph glands, the first symptom the feLV positive cat exhibited.

I hope this information helps. I can tell you that this forum has been an extremely valuable resource of information for me since losing my Chat Noir to this horrible disease.

Best of luck to you,

Valerie