Hello Pam, My 3 cats have been living together for 10 years now until my boy-cat was just recently diagnosed with FeLV. He may have contracted it 2 years ago when he ran outside and got into a fight with another cat. We had the 2 other girl-cats tested and they're both negative. We had the 2 other girl-cats vaccinated and currently, they are separated. Doctor said that they can be together 30days after the 2 other cats receive their 2nd shot of FeLV vaccination. Also, according to our doctor, it should be okay for them to be together again as long as they don't bite/scratch each other or share bodily fluids. Just keep their feeding stuff completely separate. My cats never fight with each other although occasionally, the other cat will eat someone's leftover and I think that is the reason that the 2 others cats never contracted it considering that the other one had FeLV for quite some time now.
Sharon On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Pam Norman <pam_nor...@charter.net> wrote: > I am trying to determine what to do with Poppy both now & when the IFA test > results come in. I've been reading & reading & from what I can gather, the > old dictums about NEVER havinig positive & negative cats even in the same > house has been abandoned. From what I have read, the general sense is that > it's fine for positives & negatives to be in the same home, but should be > separate so there is no chance of exchanging fluids such as with a bite, but > more importantly with mutual grooming. But I know also that some of you > have both positives & negatives really living together, not separate. Right? > > What about if I put Poppy in her condo in the spare bedroom & let me cats > visit, so at least she SEES other cats. What is she hisses & spits? Would > that have a chance of infecting any of mine who were nosing around her > condo? My feeling is that it would. > > Also how effective is the vaccine these days? I know that some years ago > the figure was about 30% so I never had any of my cats vaccinated. Has it > been improved? > > Right now we are still waiting for the IFA test for Poppy. And I guess she > needs retesting on that in at least a month. I do NOT want to keep her alone > until then. We have a sanctuary for her if she tests IFA positive cause > then we know that she is really positive. But the person who runs it tells > me that regardless of how she tests on the IFA, she HAS leukemia. Period. > And would go in with the positive cats. But my understanding is that if > she is IFA negative, she has a chance of fighting it off & putting her in > with the positives is giving up. I think she should only go in with the > positives if she tests IFA positive. > > Can anyone help me sort this out? > > Pam > > _______________________________________________ > Felvtalk mailing list > Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org > http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org > -- Sharon F Catalan Cell: (408) 398-5647 Home: (408) 229-2298 Carpe Diem! _______________________________________________ Felvtalk mailing list Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org