Cardboard boxes are great!  We don't use them fr scratching, just sleeping.  I
have 2 small ones (9" x 12") on the sofa.  Who ever is on the sofa uses them.
Got another by the fridge.  It i taller and Harley likes to hide in it and
pounce on unsuspecting soul that passes by.  I also have a scratcher that is
plastic, arch shaped with a replaceable corrugated insert.  It is impregnated
with emery.  We like that, all 6 of them scattered around the house.