Sally,

How is Bitty doing?

We had this really funny half-jawed dog (surgery to remove it due to a mass!)
She walked around all the time with her tongue hanging and it was the funniest
thing (or so we thought.)  One weekend, we dropped her off at the kennel.  A
few hours later they called to say she was having some kind of seizure or
something.  By the time I got there, she was conscience and moving around some,
but it didn't look too great for her.  The emergency vet was going to board her
for a mere $1300.  Unfortunately, our plans for the weekend were really
important but we didn't have that kind of money to spare, so I left her in the
hands of the kennel attendants, who absolutely loved her.  They watched over
her carefully making sure she was eating a bit and not dehydrated.

When we picked her up, she seemed to be doing better.  Our regular said she
thought she probably had a stroke.  We took her home and for a few days she
literally walked in circles and kept running into things.  Her poor little head
was so tilted that it was really strange looking.  Gradually, the tilt became
less pronounced and she was able to adapt to her lack of balance/directional
issues.

She never lost the tilt in her head and bless her little heart, she was so
comic.  She would walk around with her head tilted and her tongue hanging out,
occasionally falling over or walking into things.  However, she was always the
happiest dog.  She lived to the ripe old age of 15 when she had to be put to
sleep due to kidney failure.  She never even realized that she looked
absolutely crazy!

Point of this story is that given a bit of time, the symptoms of a stroke can
be overcome if the damage is not too severe.  I sincerely hope that is the case
with your Bitty!

Melinda, Fuji, Melinda