From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of molvey...@hotmail.com
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 5:37 PM
To: Ana Gutierrez
Cc: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] doubts on two FeLV positive kitties

I think the standard snap test which just looks for FIV & FeLV is probably more
reliable than the triple test.  Not sure though.

The IFA that Natalie mentioned looks to see if the virus has gotten into the
white blood cells, and if so then the cat will not get rid of the virus and you
can say for sure he's FeLV positive.  But if it is just in his bloodstream,
which is what the snap test checks, then the cat still has a chance of getting
rid of the virus.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

So you have a couple of  options  -

You can do another snap test to make sure the first one was right, or you can
go ahead and do the IFA test.

If you do another snap test and it comes out negative then you don't need to do
anything else.  But if the second snap test is positive then you'll need to do
more testing.

If you skip the  snap test and go ahead and do an IFA test right now  to see if
the virus is in his white blood cells, and it's positive then you know for sure
that he will not be able to get rid of the virus.  However if it is negative,
then you will need to do another test in a few months to see if the virus is
present then because it could be in his blood stream now but not go to his
white blood cells for another few months.

Basically, you need two tests that match.

sent from my AT&T Smartphone by HTC