Did you check to see if any lashes were growing inward toward the eye?  Had one
with that problem once and it scratched the eye, causing an irritation and
infection.  Had to constantly keep at that lash.
As to the basement, my Annie came to me with a lot of baggage.  Her owner died
of cancer and she was locked in her small trailer for 3 weeks with Kathy's
sister coming once a day to feed, change the box and no real contact.  Then
when Kathy was satisfied that Annie would have the same care she gave her, she
passed the next day and Annie was put into a cardboard box and brought to my
vet.  He called me and I picked her up and brought her to a 2 story house with
another cat and 2 new people.  When I let her out, she made a madd dash for the
basement and stayed there for 2 weeks.  I know she came up to eat at night
because she looked well fed when she did let me get near her.  Then, she was
all over the house investigating everything.  She is even used to other cats
now andonly hisses and slaps a few times when a new one comes in.  It was hard
for her to adjust to not being te only cat with sleeping on th bed privileges
but now she and Lil Bit will both sleep on the bed at the same time and all is
peaceful and quiet.