That's how we did it. Our first trip to the US was including 2 dogs on the
same airplane. I went back to the Netherlands to get everything prepared
and organized for the cats to go. I dropped them off at the airport in
Amsterdam, my husband picked them up in Atlanta (non-stop flight).
Everything went just fine!
I went later with 2 ferrets in tow as hand luggage.

We even flew my horse Jay over to the US. I wasn't gonna leave her behind.
My husband traveled with her and dropped her off in good hands until we
where ready to move. She went 6 months earlier then us.