From: frecklescras...@hotmail.com
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:46:27 -0500
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Felvtalk Digest, Vol 4, Issue 14

Hi Everyone,

We have a FELv + kitty Maddie who was diagnosed over 3 yrs ago and is doing
wonderfully, We just took another stray kitty named Charles to the vet on
Monday, before they did the combo test my husband said, no matter what the test
comes back we ARE NOT putting him to sleep, the vet came back in and he did
test a weak positive for FELv, if my husband would have not said what he did
I'm sure they would have started with putting him to sleep right then (the same
as they did with Maddie) , they did go ahead and neuter him and we brought him
home and he is doing very well (asymptomatic) and is rooming with our Maddie. I
talked to the vet regarding FELv because I can't understand why the first
option is always putting them to sleep, it makes me crazy thinking about how
many cats are put to sleep and don't deserve to be, The vet said that FELv +
cats will die a slow and painful death, I said ok well what about the ones that
test false positive or the ones that test positive and are able to throw the
virus off, he said he has never heard of that happen, I guess what I am getting
at is there any way to reverse what these vets are taught in college. I know
I'm grasping but I just hate this so much for these cats that can lead a
healthy life and aren't even given the chance!

Marci, Maddie, & Charles